This is vegan! If not vegan, I do show you a way to sneak in a little extra protein! I love to serve this on top of Banza lentil pasta for another added boost of protein.
This definitely makes for some yummy as heck leftovers the next day. You can even double the recipe and freeze. It stores great!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , finely chopped
- 3 carrot , finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup dry green lentils
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (I use no salt added)
- 2 1/2 cups water or bone broth for added protein if not vegan
- fine sea salt
In large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion, carrot, and celery until just tender.
2: Add in the garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper. Add salt to taste. Sauté until fragrant…a minute or two.
3: Add your liquid of choice (water or bone broth), lentils, crushed tomatoes, and maple syrup. Heat until bubbling and then reduce heat to low and let gently simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
4: While the sauce is cooking, prepare pasta or spaghetti squash.